Monday, July 1, 2013

Meet the Correspondent : Lichia Liu


Lichia Liu

BLOG | WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
For me, sketching is the most intimate way to remember a place. When I sit in one spot to do a sketch, I remember every detail: how the air smelled, the locals chattering around me, the people I was or wasn’t with, the way the sun hit that one spot on my hair. When I come back to these sketches years later, the memories of that moment leap from the page. Sketching is also a great way to meet people; for example, on the day I sat down on the Great Wall of China to sketch for two hours, I had countless photo requests, and people of all ages from all over the world sat down on the steps beside me to strike up conversations. It’s heartwarming to know that in this day and age where smartphones alienate person-to-person interaction, sketchbooks do quite the opposite and bring people together. After travelling and living abroad for almost a decade, I returned to Toronto and am happily re-discovering this vibrant city. There’s an authenticity here that you don’t find anywhere else. Toronto doesn’t pretend to be a beautiful, but it’s got a lot of personality and soul. I love this city, and it inspires my work and art every day. 






No comments:

Post a Comment